Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Saturday, October 15, 2011

Saalfield - Tina with Change-About Wigs


What makes this paper doll interesting are the three 'wigs' that provide a novel touch to the book.  I've always thought the dresses a bit nondescript and discovered recently that they were used by Saalfield in an earlier set and re-produced without any alteration in this one.

It is the detachable heads that make this set so memorable with names that sound like ice-cream sundaes - Banana Blonde, Spiced Strawberry and Chocolate Parfait!

I can't see a date on the cover which is unusual but I would have been given it in the mid to late 60's.

The set consists of one doll.  The original is shown on the right and the same doll with the blonde 'wig' on the left.  I think having complete heads like this is very effective as hair on its own can sometimes look a bit scrappy.


Here are they are in one of the dresses.


This is my favourite page in the book with the three different glamorous looks provided by the Wig Shoppe.










Inside my original copy of the book I have some magazine cut-outs of hairstyles from the era.  They have nothing to do with the set but I must have included them to play along with the hairdressing theme.



7 comments:

Kylie said...

How sweet that you included those copies of hairstyles in your book, I still have a heap of old Easter egg wrappers I saved when I was little in my childhood bible (rather appropriate place...although I'm sure I kept them there for the weight of it, rather than religious reasons. ha-ha!)
x

Barbara said...

I used to love paper dolls - thank you for bringing back so many memories! Thank you also for following my blog I'm following you too.

GardenOfDaisies said...

What a wonderful paperdoll! I sure wish I had a detachable head, with three different hairstyles that I could put on. ;-)

Wendy said...

Looking at these makes me want to get stuck in and actually play with them.

Great set!

Also funny how those hairstyles in the last photo - well three of them - are so trendy today.

Unknown said...

LOVING THIS!! ur blog is such a mood setter! lovely work!

Lets follow each other!!? stop by let me know ur following and ill return the love!!

www.shervinsworld.com

Anonymous said...

GREAT.... GREAT..... POST!!!REALLY INTERESTING...
COMPLIMENTS....!!! :)
I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!

FOLLOW EACH OTHER?!? :)
I'LL WAIT YOUR ANSWER ON MY BLOG:

http://dreamsonthestage4.blogspot.com/

XOXOXOXO

Unknown said...

I bought this book with my
pocket money in the early
seventies, except that my
book had only four pages of
clothes and didn't have the
dressing table page. Great
to see it again. Thank you
Sharon.

Kind regards Sally

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...