Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Sunday, June 23, 2013

Sunday Story - The Prince & the White Cat


The Prince & the White Cat



Some time ago I included this illustration in a post called Wonderful Weddings.  I think these lovely paintings are the work of Jose Ortiz and as with all my 'Sunday Stories' originally appeared in Once Upon a Time magazine.  After posting a series of selected illustrations on different topics I received a request to include the full stories. This is one of my favourites.

I'm still using a borrowed laptop (my son's) as I've confirmed my own PC problem is not recoverable.  The last automatic windows update wiped out my ethernet adaptor. It seems I'm not the only person this has happened to.  If you are lucky you can roll back the change, but in some cases like mine the adaptor is destroyed completely




To get the laptop working again I'd have to reload the operating system, but as it is almost 5 years old I'm taking it as a sign I need a new one.  The only reason I'm hesitating before buying one is that Windows 8 seems to have a few problems and a new release is due to come out later this year.  I'd like to wait until that happens but my family want me to have my own laptop again so I may have to get one sooner rather than later!

Here is the story:
 






Taken from Once Upon a Time children's magazine. Issue #141 dated 23 October 1971


Through a glass - lightly



My husband thinks this photo is a bit daft but I find it quite effective.  I'm always the one with the camera taking photos of everyone else.  I never have any photos taken of me (I'm not vain but I'm a natural historian and recorder of the progression of time. In a way this blog is an attempt to catalogue my memories.).  When I saw how well this door was reflecting the scene outside I decided to take a self portrait.  I like the slightly indistinct results - its almost like a painting. 




The garden has been glorious now winter has finally released its grip.  These flowers are finished now but I loved them when they were in full spate and looked like a waterfall of blossoms.  Now the briar rose has taken over so it is still an equally colourful corner.  





When the flowers grow in such profusion its lovely to be able to bring a little bit of the garden inside.  I always think of my mom when I do this.   She loved arranging flowers and filling her home with them.








9 comments:

earthen-magic said...

...(O:

DeadSpiderEye said...

Sorry to hear of the laptop problems still causing difficulties. Similar problems prompted my switch to Linux, which worked out OK, except for the fact that a lot of devices, like scanners and printers are poorly supported. Anyway it's nice to see you and your husband taking time to relax in the garden, beautiful tree. I imagine a bit recreation is well appreciated after a week enduring your commute.

The illustrations and story are excellent, I'd love to pick the brains of the illustrator over the details of the technique. It's always puzzled me how they get those saturated colours.

CraveCute said...

Great self-portrait Sharon! Nice to see your post. So sorry to here about your PC, I had a similar PC issue last year with a windows update which changed my wi-fi driver, fortunately the techs fixed it. Your garden and flowers are looking lovely, I'll be sharing some too in a few days. These illustrations are wonderful, what a magical story!

Darlene said...

I love your self portrait! Hope you get your IT problems sorted out soon. There is nothing more annoying (well perhaps there is but at the time it seems like the worst)As always I enjoyed your colourful post.

Unknown said...

Aww, I so love this story and that cat in that adorable dress.
I don't think your picture's daft at all, and those flowers are really something.
Sorry about your computer. I love Windows 7 and like you, I've heard nothing good about Windows 8.

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

Those flowers you arranged are so vibrant! Just beautiful! This time of year is so pretty.

Sorry to hear about the laptop problems. How frustrating. I guess knowing what the problem is can be of some help, but it sounds like it will be expensive to get another one.

Thanks for sharing the story!

Oh- and I love the picture in the window. :)

Donna Heber said...

Hi Sharon,

So sorry to hear you are still having issues with your laptop. It is amazing how much we rely on technology these days. Your bouquet is beautiful and I enjoyed seeing your portrait.

Barbara said...

It was such a treat to return from my holiday and find a new post on your blog! You have no idea how much I look forward to them. Thanks for leaving a comment on my blog while I was away.

I’ve had to invest in a new PC my last one died on me, I’ve gone with Windows 7 – its working fine, so I won’t upgrade until I have to.

The photo in the door is a great idea – sort of ‘soft focus’ – just what I need! This is such a lovely colourful post. I enjoyed looking at the illustrations, and your flowers are very pretty. My mum usually had a house full of flowers, either from the garden or the woods and fields. During the winter, she would have vases of evergreens, and I can still remember the smell – pine, ivy and holly is delicious!

Sandy M. said...

Your flowers are beautiful, Sharon!

I also think your photo through the window is quite arty and pleasing :)

And I like your star-sprinkling wand very much!

(Welcome to our 'Patches' Blog!)

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...