Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

Daffodil Day - 28 March 2014


Hilda Boswell - Daffy-Down-Dilly

Yesterday was the Irish Cancer Society's annual Daffodil Day.  It is always the last Friday in March.  I've posted about it before and the badges representing past years are from my earlier offering.

I think it is a lovely idea.  It's so nice to see everyone going about their business in Dublin with a sunny silk daffodil pinned to their jackets.  Somehow the day seems a bit brighter and people look a bit more cheerful.  There was a very good turnout of volunteers this year, selling silk flowers and badges on every street corner.  I was glad to see there was still a strong presence. With the economic downturn its always a worry that good causes will fade away.



I tend to buy the badges rather than the silk flowers as they are easier to keep and I'm building up a nice little collection.



This year I also bought a pack of note cards.  I find blank cards very useful and I prefer having something that supports a charity.  A few years ago we lost a colleague at work to cancer.  She was only 45 and left behind two young children and a husband who adored her.  It made me realise how quickly and unexpectedly cancer can strike and how important the work of an organisation like this is.




I love daffodils.  They are a real reminder that summer is just around the corner.  At midnight tonight we change the clocks for summer time - longer days but I lose an hour of sleeping late tomorrow morning!




I always include this little paper doll for Daffodil Day.  The full set of Mother Goose Paper Dolls can be found here.  It is one of my favourites from my childhood.


Hilda Boswell - March and April

Warmer days are almost here ..............



7 comments:

Darlene said...

I love daffodils as well. They are out in full bloom here right now and always make me happy. The note cards are so lovely, what a great idea. Enjoy the longer days and warmer weather.

Unknown said...

Daffy Down Dilly is just so neat, my countryside is covered in this beautiful flower that symbols Cancer, good post. Agman

DMS said...

I love daffodils and all spring flowers! They give me such hope and feel so cheerful. There are daffodil fields about 30 minutes from my house with rocks to sit on- and when I was in high school our class went there to read poetry (most of our class was not into poetry and our teacher was hoping to inspire us- which he did).

I think it is wonderful that this charity is still so well supported. :)

Beautiful paper doll!

Thanks for sharing and happy spring!
~Jess

Barbara said...

Another lovely post. I remember your previous daffodil badges thanks for including the new one. It will soon be time for bluebells, another of my favourite flowers. Spring sunshine in Somerset today, I hope you have the same. Barbara x

Donna Heber said...

Hi Sharon,

I enjoyed reading your post before heading off to work. Tulips are very popular here in the US and we have tulip festivals. Daffodils are very pretty too and don't receive enough credit. I like your little pin collection and this is for such a wonderful cause.

CraveCute said...

Beautiful post Sharon. I love daffodils! I used to have hundreds but over the years they have disappeared. So nice to see those cute 'daffodil' girls!

Unknown said...

We have similar here, only they sell bunches of daffodils. I love daffodils. As winter winds down, the bright yellow flowers are one of the first to bud into lovely flowers.

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...