Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

More Little Ballerina Paper Dolls (Saalfield)


 


I wasn't intending to return to blogging for at least another month - and then two things happened. First I received a lovely comment from my sweet friend Diane at Always Crave Cute, making me realise how much I miss everyone in the blogging community.  Then I was sent a wonderful email from Patricia in California -a fellow paper doll enthusiast. Together they have prompted me to put together this post.  

    


One of the first paper doll books I posted in my blog was a set by Saalfield I called Little Ballerina Paper Dolls. This was back in January 2011 - the post has remained a popular one and is currently one of my top 10 most viewed posts of the month.  When I bought the book I realised some of the ballet costumes were missing that I remembered playing with as a child. I kept searching and found this book. It has some of the additional outfits, but there are still 3 more dresses to be accounted for. Both these books are originals, not laser reproductions or recent compilations so there must be at least one more bumper version out there - the book I originally played with!  







As I haven't been blogging for a while I thought I'd also give an update on my swan family.  They are still in the park and I'm hoping they have become such a feature of the place and favourite of everyone who visits that they will be allowed to stay.  At Christmas there were seven - now there are six.  I have no idea where the missing juvenile swan could have gone - the day before this happened another adult appeared in the park unexpectedly so perhaps they flew off into the sunset together.

I'm not anticipating any new baby swans this year - but if these 6 stay I'll be happy!

I took these photos the last morning I was able to go to the park.  I now have a much longer commute into work I used to complain that it was bad before - now I have an extra half an hour each way! One of the things I have had to give up is my early morning stroll and this time spent with the swans.  I can still go there at lunchtime but I miss these quiet moments in the morning tremendously.
  





I no longer live in the mountains that in a short year had come to mean so much to me.  The move was sudden and unexpected and I'm still feeling a bit bruised around the edges.  Instead I now live in a vale - it is a magical enchanting place in its own right - and has made me find life quite baffling. If I had come here a year ago I would have been thrilled.  For reasons I'll give on another occasion the fact that I am in this particular place is actually quite remarkable - in my lifetime I've travelled a long way and it has been quite an adventure.  I don't always feel I'm controlling events but I usually recognise the pattern that emerges - I hope in time I will detect it here. I will just need a bit of time to get past the sensation of dislocation - I miss the atmosphere of isolation, the absolute silence and darkness at night and the sweeping vistas.  My heart and my spirit are still wandering in the mountains - in time I'm hoping they will join me in the valley.

Before we left we were snowed in and could not move from the house for about a week.  This was one of the last photographs I took - it is my favourite!
  



Please forgive me if I don't visit or comment with any regularity for a while and if my posting is a bit erratic.  I still have a lot of things to straighten out and organise and I feel about 100 years older than I did this time last year!

But I've put my big toe back in the water - with any luck before long I'll wade right back in.


9 comments:

darlene foster said...

I am so happy to see you back here. I have been thinking a lot about you lately and today especially. So you can imagine the joy when I saw your post. Sorry you had to leave your fairytale home but the magic will follow you, I know it. Don't feel obligated to reply until you are settled. Just know you are loved. Darlene XO

GardenOfDaisies said...

Sharon, I'm so glad you're back! I'm sorry you had to leave your little house in the mountains. I'm sure your new house in the Valley will start to feel more homey with a bit of time. You just need time to settle in.
I always love all the sweet ballerina paperdolls that you post pictures of. I think you are right... dolls might have be issued more than once, with more or less clothes. I know they did that with paperdoll greeting cards anyway.
Very glad that your swan family seems to be doing well.

earthen-magic said...

...greetings and a most awesome meet with thee again!...
...wherever thee goes ~ wherever thee dwells ~ may the magic and sacredness of the environment ~ play gentle tinkling laughter ~ upon thine brow!...
...blessed be! ~ dear kindred heart! ~ when thee is ready ~ i shall look forward to reading more delicious posts from thee!...(0;

Unknown said...

Sharon, I've been thinking so much of you and missing your friendship. I'm so glad to see this post. Of course, I love the sweet ballerinas and the pics of the swans. I'm sorry you had to move out of the mountains, but I'm wishing you well and will look forward to when you'll be able to be around more often.

Barbara said...

Hello Sharon, I can’t tell you how delighted I am to see you! You have been very sorely missed by all your friends. The pictures are beautiful; it’s lovely to catch up with ‘your’ swans again and to see some more paper dolls. I’m so sorry you had to leave your mountain home. I know how much you loved it. I’ve called in at your blog several times in the last couple of months just to see if you were back but haven't been over lately so I was delighted when Donna emailed to let me know about your new post. xx

CraveCute said...

Sharon, I was thinking about you again today and clicked on your Google Plus link to your blog. I was thrilled when I saw your new post. I too am sad you had to leave your magical home but am also sure you will find magic wherever you are. We all understand that there is life outside blogging, and it sounds as if yours has had a lot of upheaval lately. I am glad my little comment helped bring you back, but please take it easy! I am just glad to here things are settling down for you. Hugs friend ~~ Diane

Tazas y Cuentos said...

Hello Sharon!!!
I'm so happy to find your post, we were missing you...
Your paper dolls are lovely and the photos of the swans are very nice.
I hope everything is going well!
Besos, Silvina

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

Sharon-
Welcome back! You have been missed! Sorry to hear that you had to move, but glad that your new place is magical. I love the snowy picture you posted. When we move from one place to the next it does take a while to get settled and to adjust to the surroundings. Best of luck!

The paper doll book is adorable. The hours I played with paper dolls growing up is amazing to think about. I kept them all quite organized and had a variety of different types. :)

ArtSings1946 said...

Greetings Sharon ... love this post and I have also missed you but haven't been around much myself. I'm sure all is and will be a-ok...sounds magical to me. Thanks so much for the delightful pictures.

Happiness,
Jan

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...