Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Mary Poppins Paper Doll

This is a much loved and (as can be seen from its current condition) well played with paper doll  At some stage poor Mary Poppins lost her head - it was taped back on but the tape became discoloured and disintegrated over time.  The children are in fairly good condition as are the clothes, but besides the two hats shown here any others that came with the set have been lost down the years.

I can't remember the cover of the book or anything else about it.  I have found vintage paper dolls of Mary Poppins from the same era advertised for sale, but never this particular one.






3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your set of Mary Poppins paper dolls was not listed in any of my identification books. The clothes are very similar to my set, but not exactly the same. It's a very interesting set.

My set of Mary Poppins paperdolls are the 1964 Magic Stay On ones. The clothes don't have tabs, and the dolls are thicker than normal and have plastic stands. Of course, they've lost the ability to stay on anymore, but then if I remember correctly, that type never worked as well as I would've liked, anyway.

As to your set being repaired - while it's nicer to have ones in good condition, I really don't mind used ones. I like to think of little girls in the past having enjoyed playing with them. My sister and I both collect; she collects new sets and reproductions, I prefer used ones.

It's been delightful discovering your blog today and your paper dolls are wonderful.

sharonssunlitmemories said...

Without the cover of the Mary Poppins doll I've found it very difficult to find another reference to the set as I can no longer remember what the front page looked like - it is certainly a very illusive one.

When I started this blog I chose to post the Mary Poppins and My Fair Lady dolls first as they are two sets I've personally never seen anywhere else and I thought other collectors might find them interesting.

Most of my sets were well played with. I adored all my paper dolls and they conjure up some of my most enduring childhood memories. I have some 'orphan' dresses that I want to scan and post in the hope that someone may be able recognize and identify them for me. I manage to post something once a week at weekends - I would love to be able to do more but work commitments get in the way.

I'm so pleased you enjoyed my blog - it's lovely to know that there are other enthusiasts like myself out there!

earthen-magic said...

...was about to comment on another post when this post caught my eye from the sidebar!...
...brings back precious memories of childhood playtime with this paper doll! ~ thankyoU sO much! ~ for sharing mary poppins! ~ blessed be!...(0:

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...