Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Bright Eyes Paper Dolls - Artcraft #4454




When I started this blog almost 4 years ago (how time flies!!!) my intention was to feature all the paper doll books and illustrators that had brought so much enjoyment to my childhood.  Lately I have not been a very good member of the blogging community! - but there are a couple of classic paper dolls I have still been meaning to include here for quite some time, especially as I have not seen them on-line anywhere else.     

I have mentioned before that I discovered a box of paper dolls my mother had carefully collected and packed away when I was sorting through her belongings after she died.  My paper dolls were very well played with so many are just fragments of sets with tatty looking dresses and no dolls,  



Amongst them was a cut version of this dress - something I recognised as a treasured and precious memory.  But try as I might I could not recollect which set it came from.  I knew I wanted to seek out a replacement for my 'new' collection but I had no idea whether I was looking for ballet, fairies or children!



It took me quite some time to track down but eventually I recognised a cover I remembered and was thrilled to discover it was the book I was looking for.  It was produced by Artcraft and unfortunately does not have a date but I would have been given my original copy some time in the 1960's.

       
Front Cover

My scanner is A4 size so I could not fit in the complete cover,  It has a handle (visible in the first scan) so can be carried around like a little portfolio.  The windows are the cut-out type so popular at the time with the actual doll peeking through from the page behind.




Of course I discovered when I paged through the book that I still possessed one of the dolls (Carol shown above) and some of the other dresses in my box of fragments but I had not realised they were part of the same set!




All of the outfits are shown below. I especially like those where there is a little skirt to go over a shorts set.











Back Cover

This book remains one of my favourite childhood memories and still gives me a little thrill of pleasure every time I look at it.



I bought it from Kassy Ferguson who was selling her late mother's impressive paper doll collection at the time.  She was kind enough to help me obtain my copy of Saalfield's Double Wedding as well, another book I had been trying to find for many months.






8 comments:

Barbara said...

Hello Sharon, how nice to have a new post from you and such a nice post too! I can see why you like this one so much it's lovely.

CraveCute said...

Those are adorably cute Sharon. Nice to see you back again!

Unknown said...

Your paper doll articles bring back such memories.
These are absolutely precious.

Nora said...

Thank you so much for sharing this lovely set. I too remember it as a child and it was one of my favorites. I played with it so much that the tabs eventually didn't even fit over the shoulders of the dolls. :)

Barbara said...

Just calling in to wish you a Very Happy Christmas and New Year. I'm going to be taking a short blogging break but will be back in Feb. Enjoy the holidays, Barbara.

Donna Heber said...

Hi Sharon,

I always enjoy seeing your paper dolls :-) Wishing you a very Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year!

DMS said...

So nice to read this post, Sharon. I hope you are doing well and that your holidays were fun!

I am so glad for you that you found the source of the paper doll outfit you were remembering. How nice to be reconnected with something that gave you such joy. :)
~Jess

GardenOfDaisies said...

Hi Sharon, just popping to say hi real quick! (I just can't seem to find time to get on the blog much these days, but don't want to abandon it completely.) I hope you are doing well and still drawing your amazing paper dolls!

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...