Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Friday, January 27, 2012

Heidi and Peter Paper Dolls (Saalfield)




Saalfield printed two different versions of this paper doll set in 1957 and 1963.  The dolls and two little lambs are identical in both books but the clothes (with a few exceptions) are different.

Both sets are very pretty - although I do prefer the later book as it is the one I played with as a child.  The updated outfits have a bright crisp freshness that is very appealing.






                                                                             

This set perfectly conjures up the world of Heidi and Peter - majestic alpine scenery, endless flower meadows and pure mountain air.

I loved playing with these dolls and spent hours recreating scenes from the story.




.





The next set of pictures are all scans of my original dolls and the outfits I still have.  As you can see they have the well-worn look of a book that was a definite favourite.                                                                           







As I don't have an uncut version of this book I am borrowing the next 5 images from a copy I found for sale on eBay.  If you visit the shop of mr.rockito you will find not only this set but some of the other paper dolls I have included in previous posts.  There is a lovely selection but I think they are a little expensive.








The older (1957) version of the book contains the dolls, clothes and two additional pages of background scenery.  This set is also extremely cute and once again perfectly captures the alpine character of the story.
















The tale of Heidi was still extremely popular when I was a child.  I had no idea when I first read it that Johanna Spyri wrote the story almost a hundred years previously (1881/1882).  It had remained a perennial favourite down the years, loved by each new generation.


Besides 'Heidi' I also read 'Heidi Grows Up' and 'Heidi's Children', but must confess that I can only remember the details of the original story.


Many different editions of the story have been published over the years, each with a beautiful set of illustrations.  The images I have included here are by Pelagie Doane, an American illustrator whose work spans the 1930's to 1960's.  The three illustrations below are taken from Heidi and Heidi's Children and are some that I particularly associate with the story.










Next time ......                                             
  
  Child's Ballet Book to Colour - Merrill                                                     


Thanks to everyone who responded to my post about blog problems.  I've always used Internet Explorer and am very comfortable with the 'feel' of it, but realised that it has been the cause of much of my frustration, including increasingly slow response times.  I've changed to using Google Chrome and have noticed a big difference both with my own blog and others I enjoy visiting.


8 comments:

CraveCute said...

These dolls are so adorable. I love all of the different clothing and accessories. The little lambs are a cute addition.

GardenOfDaisies said...

I love the story of Heidi!! And both of these sets are absolutely adorable and sweet!! I've seen some for sale online here and there, but after your post I know I need to get one of these into my collection. Children's literature and paper dolls.... two of my biggest LOVES!

rkbsnana said...

How well I remember Heidi. Anytime a Shirley Temple movie came on TV, I was so excited another "Heidi" story was coming on. Of course now I know they weren't all Heidi. Love your dolls and pictures.

Barbara said...

I prefer the one’s you played with, they are so pretty. Thanks for the eBay link I will go and take a look. I loved Heidi when I was small and used to read my battered copy over and over again. I always enjoying reading your posts and looking at all the lovely pictures.

Darlene Foster said...

What wonderful memories you have conjured. I also loved reading Heidi as a child. But I didn't have the pleasure of owning the paper dolls. They are so adorable, I can imagine the fun you had with them. Do children now enjoy paper dolls as we did? Or are they too busy with their electonic toys and gadgets?

Unknown said...

Now these are adorable and priceless. How I loved looking at the pics.

agravette said...

Thank you so much for sharing your beautiful paper dolls! They brought back so many memories of that sweet story!

punkinseek said...

I loved playing with paper dolls as a child. My older sister used to help me cut them out and we would play with them for hours. Heidi and Peter must have been one of my first sets but I had forgotten all about them until I saw them on your blog. As soon as I saw the costumes, though, the memories came flooding back, so thank you for sharing them with us.

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...