Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Town Mouse and the Country Mouse



The idea for this post came from a wonderfully vivid comment Barbara from March House Books left on my Polly and her Playmates paper doll post.  She described the visits of rich swanky relatives, arriving in a big black car, flashing their wealth and beautiful clothes.  Of course to me Barbara had the more enviable life on a farm, with the run of wild flower meadows from which she could return laden with armfuls of bluebells.  But I suppose at the time that was little consolation for a young girl who dreamt of owning the lovely dresses her cousin wore.

The comment immediately brought to mind the stories of the Town Mouse and the Country Mouse.  I think they are recognisable enough that I can leave these truly delightful pictures to talk for themselves.  A few people seemed to enjoy my use of the word 'verbose' in the same post - well this time I'm showing equal restraint!

The stories were written by Barbara Hayes and the artist signed himself as Mendoza.  (I think the illustration of the auction is particularly clever as you can see he has put his name on the painting they are bidding on.)















Trees in Trinity College, Dublin

I love these flowering trees - the grow on the boundary of the square often used as croquet lawns in the college.  The flowers have almost had their time so I wanted to capture them before they are gone again for the year.






7 comments:

Joleene Naylor said...

the trees are beautiful ad I love those illustrations :)

Unknown said...

I love these illustrations. The mice seem alive and capable of doing what the pictures suggest. Just too cute. My fav is the mailman and the mouse by the doorway.
I love flowering trees. These are indeed gorgeous.

Unknown said...

I love these illustrations. The mice seem alive and capable of doing what the pictures suggest. Just too cute. My fav is the mailman and the mouse by the doorway.
I love flowering trees. These are indeed gorgeous.

Three Hoodies Save the World said...

I love the illustrations. They remind me of books I've long forgotten about but wish I remembered.

Darlene Foster said...

I always loved that story as a child because I was a country girl and wanted to be a city girl. The blossomimg trees are amazing.

Megan said...

Beautiful pics as always! The books sound so charming, I'd love to read them.

Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

Barbra said...

The town mouse and the country mouse sums it up exactly! As a young girl I felt I was missing out on all the nice things, but of course, I was the lucky one – it just took some time to realise. The illustrations are beautiful and the use of the artist name in the auction is inspired. I also love the blossom trees, so sad that they will soon be over for another year.

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...