Blogger Templates
This blog has been retired. I won't respond to any inquiries but have retained it in case it is still of interest to anyone passing by.

Thursday, July 5, 2012

These Mist Covered Mountains are Home Now to Me ...


Last week I included a post about my past in I Had a Farm in Africa.  This week I'm on holiday and this is my present - the magical Wicklow Mountains.   Sometimes I'm truly in awe as to how I managed to end up here.  As a child in Africa I was always drawn to this type of landscape - straight out of a fantasy story.  Sometimes I think the fairies really must have brought me here.  


When I have time off work (as I have now),  all I usually want to do is stay at home.  As this is what greets me just behind my house I guess I can be excused for not wanting to rush off on a holiday somewhere else.  My job as an IT systems developer can be quite tiring and I spend hours commuting to work every day, so having a chance to stay at home is the most perfect break I can think of!


I took these pictures earlier today.  Of course my 'boys' are an essential part of my perfect holiday.


Anyone who is familiar with my blog by now will know that I like empty untamed landscapes.   The more remote a place is the more it appeals to me.  These views are timeless.


This next picture is the Powerscourt Waterfall taken from across the valley on the road we use to get to Enniskerry.  We went there this afternoon as I like to visit the garden centre at the Powerscourt Estate.  This is the same waterfall as the photo I chose for my blog title (just taken from much further away).


I don't really mind what the weather chooses to do when I am at home on holiday.  If it rains I sit in my study and write or paint and look at the trees in the mist through the window.

If the sun shines I sit outside - this is my favourite spot in the garden.  Sometimes I pretend I'm reading, but mostly I just sit and listen to the sound of the wind in the trees.   
    



I've noticed these roses (I call them my briar rose) are growing wild all over the hedgerows.  These are in the garden and twine themselves in between all the other flowers.


There are wild foxgloves in abundance everywhere also.  Some have seeded themselves in the garden but these are growing at the side of the road outside the house.  They seem to do exceptionally well there!





6 comments:

Three Hoodies Save the World said...

I would love to live somewhere as quiet and beautiful as that, but just as for my request to return home to Birmingham, my wife has the same response: "the moment I'm dead or we're divorced."
So it's cats screeching, foxes yelping and fire engines screaming past all night for the foreseeable future.

DarleneFoster said...

I don't blame for you not wanting to go anywhere. You live in paradise!! I'm glad you are able to enjoy it.

Barbara said...

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful photographs. The foxgloves and roses are fantastic – what a lovely place to live.

Megan said...

Such beautiful pics Sharon! And I have to agree with you, there's nothing better than just staying home and enjoying some peace :) Nice to see you back from your blogging break by the way, I had a little one myself!

Megan @ Storybook Love Affair

CraveCute said...

What a beautiful place to live! So glad you have some time to spend with your family in this magical land. Your flowers and wild roses are lovely. You have much to smile about!

Unknown said...

What lovely scenery. perhaps the fairies did bring you here. It is enchanting, and I don't think I could ever tire of seeing it.

Link/within

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...